Thursday, April 12, 2007

The Ghosts of Second Avenue

After over 80 years and five false starts, it looks like the Second Avenue Subway is finally going to happen.

If you live in New York, or ever been to New York, or ever once taken the Lexington Avenue Subway between 7 and 10am, or between 4 and 8pm, then you know another east side subway line is DESPERATELY needed. Today marks the beginning of that realization...hopefully.

The Second Avenue Subway is not a new thing, it was first supposed to be built in 1925, then three times later, most recently in 1975, but always ended up on the chopping block. Today, the city hopes a fifth time is a charm, but I wouldn't rush to get your MetroCard, the first phase isn't expected to be completed until 2013, with the entire line set for an opening date of 2020 at the earliest.

I'm just shy of 24, and I can tell you I hope to ride the Second Avenue Subway before I die. That should give you an idea of my faith in this project.

No comments: