Thursday, May 17, 2007

Bush: ROTC belongs on campus

I agree with him to a point.

I graduated from a college where the ROTC was present. I had one close friend of mine from my Political Science program who was in ROTC (and is a liberal atheist.) I never found them intruding, nor did I find them intimidating or militaristic. They weren't even male-dominated, as I knew women in the ROTC program who were welcomed and treated as equal. I smiled at them every time they passed me on campus, dressed in their fatigues

It does amaze me that the top notch schools in the country; Harvard, Stanford and Columbia, do not have ROTC programs.

However, I have to admit, I am OK with colleges making the decision not to have ROTC on their campuses. It is their decision. The government has no right to force them to, but I still think they should be there. If anything, it gives people a sense of pride and patriotism to see members walking through the halls in their fatigues.

No comments: