Thursday, December 6, 2007

The Religious Litmus Test

It's sad that in this country we need to have a religious litmus test for a Presidential candidate, at least in the Republican Party.

Mitt Romney's presidential campaign should be judged on his ideas, his stances on policies and his record as Governor of Massachusetts from 2003-2007, not on whether or not he worships at a temple or a church. Today's speech by Mitt Romney, where he almost seemed desperate, is a sad event in our history.

I found this part of Romney's speech especially titilating;

Let me assure you that no authorities of my church, or of any other church for that matter, will ever exert influence on presidential decisions. Their authority is theirs, within the province of church affairs, and it ends where the affairs of the nation begin. As governor, I tried to do the right as best I knew it, serving the law and answering to the Constitution. I did not confuse the particular teachings of my church with the obligations of the office and of the Constitution - and of course, I would not do so as president. I will put no doctrine of any church above the plain duties of the office and the sovereign authority of the law.

See Mitt blew it there in my opinion. He's right to respond to the fears of the Christian fundamentalists that his religion would have some say in his presidency. The problem is, the reason these nuts are so worried are because they want THEIR religion to control the decisions of the next President. These zealots see their religion, their Bible, their version of the story, as the rightful ruling doctrine of the United States, and Mitt Romney cannot be President because he does not belong to that doctrine, he belongs to another doctrine. It's a scary thought, that our country is really like that, but it's even scarier that I'm defending Mitt Romney.

I sort of want him to win the nomination now, just to spite the fundamentalists.

No comments: