Sunday, March 18, 2007

The Snows Of JFK

I live a mere three miles from the runways of Kennedy Airport in New York. From my bedroom window, looking south, I can see planes landing. When fog and rain come in off the ocean, these landing planes are rerouted about 750 feet over my house.

Twice this winter I have live through snow/sleet storms that have only caused minor disruptions in my life, but only 20,000 feet away, have caused mass chaos.

I've never had the opportunity of flying out of New York in the winter, more or less in a snowstorm. I have only traveled by air between April and October. Even so, I am shocked that at an airport we thought had perfected a snow emergency, (I have lived through more snowstorms that I'd like to remember while being so close to JFK) people could be stuck on planes on the runway for 9 hours TWICE in one winter.

It seems the problems have to do with lack of open gates at the terminals. Has anyone thought of figuring out a way to deplane passengers in another part of the airport when this occurs? Perhaps there should be a hangar or some sort of emergency disembarkation point for passengers stuck on planes to get off so they don't sit on planes for 9 or 10 hours?

Or maybe the amount of air traffic is overwhelming JFK already...why is the TWA terminal still closed then?

No comments: