Saturday, March 17, 2007

Happy Saint Patrick's Day

I hate St. Patrick's Day...I find the day offensive.

It is a religious feastday, celebrating the patron saint of Ireland. In the United States and around the world, it has become a day to celebrate Irish culture, but how is it celebrated? What is it known for? Drinking.

I'm not a big drinker to begin with, but I find it offensive Irish culture is celebrated with a bad Irish stereotype...getting drunk. It's like celebrating African-American culture by mugging people in the streets or celebrating the Lunar New Year by holding a math league.

Nevertheless, to those who celebrate an authentic St. Patrick's Day, with Irish food and Irish blessings (I'm also not a big fan of corn beef and cabbage,) I wish all of you a Happy St. Patrick's Day.

No comments: